Friday, July 17, 2009

Hot Weather and Vinegar

For some reason when it gets really hot outside, I crave sour foods, especially vinegar. Since I have been spending quite a lot of time outside at the BYU tennis camps I have been wanting everything sour. Does anyone else feel this way? I thought I would share my favorite vinegar recipes!

My favorites are:

Tomatoes and Avocado in Vinegar
1 cut up tomato
1 half cut up avocado
1 cup rice vinegar or the vinegar of your choice
lots of salt 
pepper


Cucumbers in Vinegar
2 cucumbers peeled and cut into thin pieces
1 half white onion cut up 
put them into the special dressing which is:
1 drinking cup full of white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon or less dry mustard
a shake or two of paprika
double the dressing recipe and put cucumbers and onions in bowl with the dressing! delicious!

Delicious Poppy-Seed Dressing (for a yummy summer salad!)
1 drinking cup full of white vinegar
2 tbsp oil (you can add more oil if its too sour for you)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp or less dry mustard
1 tbsp poppy seed
Mix well!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Cody & Britt said...

i have 2 things to say about this:

1) i have fond memories of making salads with lettuce, ranch dressing, candied nuts, and vinegar with you...i was actually thinking about this the other day.

2) remember when you were making your vinegar marinated cucumbers and you put them in our fridge at arlington and it made the ice and water all taste like cucumbers for weeks/months??

i love you and your vinegar obsession.

McKenzie said...

This makes my mouth water! I LOVE cucumbers in vinegar. They remind me of my grandpa. He always had some fresh from his garden waiting in vinegar for us. But that tomatoes and avocado in vinegar sounds delish! I'm so trying that tomorrow!

crystalyn and rob said...

mmmmmm! i love cucumbers in vinegar with a little sugar, add a little dill. that is my secret indredient.

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

Maybe you are pregnant and that is why you are having cravings.....
;)
Brody misses his gf.

Unknown said...

I'll have to try to tomato and avacado in cucumber...sounds delish! Thanks again for the 7 peaks party, we had fun!! We'll definitely have to hang again soon!

Amy W. said...

'Tis the Summer o' Sours, indeed! I eat Sour Patch Watermelons on a daily basis.* Perhaps I'll incorporate more vinegar into my diet, just for good measure.

*Not exclusive to summertime, unfortunately.